Thursday, December 19, 2013

To Snob or Not...

Well, it has certainly been a while since I have been on here. I have always liked the idea of writing consistently as a cathartic way to express my thoughts, but somehow life always gets in the way.

Especially in soccer. Coaching multiple teams, attempting to plan quality sessions, and dealing with parents. You know, the things that coaches need to do.

So without further Adu, here is hopefully the first of a long line of posts...



You know what really grinds my gears? Eurosnobs. Particularly those who come to America, with their accents, and tell us how we should be playing the game of soccer, and what leagues we should watch, and how our version isn't good enough. I think I've played and coached enough to be fine on my own, thanks.

Well, actually, it used to really grind my gears. I used to get so worked up when someone would bash THE (sorry Abram...) Major League Soccer. I used to argue that most MLS teams could compete with teams in the top leagues around the world. I was a huge supporter of the current college system in the United States and thought that players coming from NCAA teams were more than capable of playing at a high level.

Furthermore, I was (and still am) a San Jose Earthquakes fan, and my team is NOT known for playing attractive soccer, but I would defend them tooth and nail if anyone had anything negative to say. At that point, I don't think my knowledge of the game was at a very high level.

The truth is, we aren't good enough. I'm not good enough as a coach, you're not good enough as a player, we are not good enough as a country. We struggle to a) consistently compete with the top teams in the world and b) develop a system that in turn helps develop a player who can compete, no excel, in the modern game. The coaching at a youth level in our country leaves a lot to be desired and can be borderline atrocious at times.

Sure, we will beat teams like Spain once in a while, and we have Americans who play in top leagues around the world. But we aren't going to win a World Cup anytime soon, and we don't have players like Messi or Xavi or skinny Ronaldo who will just dominate games against whoever they play.

And while our domestic league has very unique challenges - including spanning a large geographical area, a restrictive salary cap, a league office that seems to just make up the rules as it goes along, what some consider to be a silly playoff system that rewards teams in form instead of those that were consistently the best throughout the year, you get the point - that is no excuse for accepting a standard of play and a questionable pipeline for young American players.

And yes, there are good youth coaches out there. But I have also seen many more who lack a strong grasp of the game and how to effectively teach the game to people who are not adults yet, and thus have very different learning needs.

It can be better and it has to be better.

I am comfortable taking a step back and reflecting. I have evolved in my knowledge of the game to a point where I feel I can properly recognize certain styles of play and themes (i.e. direct play, patient build-up, possession oriented, high/low pressing, etc.). I believe that I am becoming a better educator with every session I plan and execute.

But I also recognize that by no means am I at a point where I don't need to know more and to see more. And there are always setbacks. Sessions that don't go well, parents that don't understand why I don't care if we lost that game last weekend, even the discord between a club's written philosophy and the way things are actually handled.

I am not someone who accepts criticism well, and it has led to a lot of stress and frustration in the past when it comes to coaching. Someone is always going to be watching your sessions and giving advice. And much of it is subjective.

However, I do my best to continue to seek out a greater understanding of the game through a number of different resources - books, magazines, online coaching databases, and perhaps most importantly, my interactions with coaching colleagues that I have met over the years.

I try look at each setback with the mindset that I will learn from that experience. I might be able to tweak a session so that it is more successful, or think about how to improve my coaching points so that the kids end up with a greater understanding.

I stand by my philosophy in coaching, even if a parent doesn't agree or I struggle to enact my methods at my club. I am always happy to explain the reasoning behind why I want to do things, and try to do so in a non-threatening, conversational manner. And even if I don't agree with the feedback other coaches give me, I try to appreciate that they took the time to help.

In the same way, it is important to reflect upon the wider status of the game in this country. We need to be able to step back and objectively analyze soccer in the United States without bringing emotional sentiments into it. If we say "ok, things are good and we are happy with the way this is going", then I believe that we will slow in our development as a soccer nation or worse, reach a plateau.

Yes, our country is unique and very different from others, but we can't rule out looking to successful soccer models - whether it is other national teams, leagues, or youth development. We need to approach these discussions with open minds, rather than in a negative and xenophobic manner.

This should apply to both sides of the equation...






No comments: