Sunday, October 10, 2010

This is a coaching post.

Yes, I'm going to rant a bit. Not about coaching per se, but about something that comes with coaching younger players - parents.

Obviously dealing with parents is part of youth sports. There are many types - quiet, loud, nice, mean, control freaks, etc. However, what I've realized is that the hardest thing to deal with when it comes to parents is that there are often about twenty to thirty of them, and only one of you. Which makes it more likely that throughout the course of a week, one out of thirty will have a problem (with the coaching, playing time, finances, training schedule, game schedule, the list goes on) and they'll expect you to fix it.

Not all problems are bad. I have no problem (pun intended) in arranging something with a parent or family so that they can afford to have their kid play at a higher level.



However, what I cannot stand, is when parents overstep their boundaries. A good example of this is with coaching. Look no further than the title of "coach" or "parent", and you have a good idea of where those boundaries lie. Parents, your job is to get your kid up, feed him, and have him at the field by the required time. That's when your job ends. My job is to instruct your kid during training and games. My job is made harder if you try to do my job for me. Your kid will not be able to listen to two people at once, I promise you.

Another thing that really bugs me is people who are rude. This doesn't just apply to parents, everyone is rude sometimes. But in this instance, I cannot stand it when I am trying to explain to a parent what I, as the coach, think can improve their kid's abilities and you turn your back on me and treat what I've just said as if it has no relevance. I'm the person who likely is best able to evaluate your kid's abilities as a soccer player since I spend updwards of five hours a week with them, so trust me, if you knew what you were talking about, your kid wouldn't be the worst on the team.

The best part is going to be when, come Spring, I pick up some new players and ditch you because a) your kid hasn't improved since I selected him a year and a half ago and b) both you and your wife are such a pain in the ass that it's literally making it harder for me to do my job and focus on what truly matters - making sure eleven other players have fun and become better players. I cannot wait until that moment when you realize that you screwed it up for your son.

No comments: